I’m reminded of three things this Good Friday.
1. Jesus didn’t just die for you (which any good person could do), he died AS you (which only the perfect one could do).
2. God, the Father, chose to give up his beloved only sons life, so that one day you MIGHT (of your own free will and timing) decide to choose to know him.
3. The Holy Spirit that comes as a loving gift, when you acknowledge these two ultimate gestures of love, is inseparable from you no matter your circumstance. The ultimate relationship that can never be soured.
In my mind Australia has 2 types of public holidays.
1. to remember and celebrate great sacrifice, great love and great moments of triumph.
2. to celebrate a horse race or a sport parade.
Take the time today to decide if your Good Friday 2016 is a celebration of great love and sacrifice, a day that you might choose to know God and Christ a little more, or is it another day for a parade or horse race.
Make it a Good Friday whichever one you choose.